University of Notre Dame’s AP-TIP announces finalists for AP Teachers, School and Affiliate of the Year
The finalists for the 2020 AP Teachers of the Year, 2020 School of the Year, and 2020 Affiliate of the year have been named by the University of Notre Dame’s Advanced Placement Teacher Investment Program (AP-TIP).
Since 2012, AP-TIP has worked with high schools in Indiana to increase student enrollment in AP math, science, and English courses and to increase the number of qualifying scores on AP exams for those courses. Over those eight years, Indiana high schools participating in AP-TIP have repeatedly shown gains in enrollment and scores.
This year’s winners will be announced at AP-TIP’s annual award ceremony, which will be held virtually at 10 a.m. on November 6. Program results for 2019-20 will also be shared, and the schools in Cohort 8 – the newest participants in AP-TIP – will be introduced.
Teachers in AP math, science and English courses from 2020 cohort schools were named as finalists based on growing the number of students in their AP courses, their students’ success in the courses and exams, and contributions to the program. The finalists are:
- Mark Blachly, New Palestine High School
- Barb Cline, Western High School
- Lisa Hardin, New Palestine High School
- Sam Schnur, Boonville High School
- Brandey Gillenwater, Rensselaer Central High School
- Rebecca Jones, Franklin Central High School
- Christine Weatherby, East Chicago Central High School
- Kasey Knaebel, Gibson Southern High School
- Sabrina LeMaster, Northfield Junior-Senior High School
- Spencer Sandusky, Franklin Central High School
Finalists for School of the Year are chosen from 2020 cohort schools based on how they support their teachers’ participation in AP-TIP, how they grow enrollment in AP math, science, and English courses, and student performance. The finalists are:
- Morgan Township Middle/High School, Valparaiso, Indiana
- Portage High School, Portage, Indiana
- Western High School, Russiaville, Indiana
Finalists for Affiliate of the Year are chosen from earlier program cohorts based on how they support their teachers’ continued efforts in their AP classrooms, how they maintain and grow enrollment in AP courses, and student performance after their tenure in AP-TIP. The finalists are:
- Argos Community Junior-Senior High School, Argos, Indiana
- Avon High School, Avon, Indiana
- Marion High School, Marion, Indiana
- New Prairie High School, New Carlisle, Indiana
To learn more about AP-TIP, visit iei.nd.edu/aptipin or contact Wendy Barnes at (574) 631-4878, email@example.com.