Center for Research on Educational Opportunity (CREO)
CREO is a center of excellence for the study of educational opportunities, the organization of schools, and the effects of schools on student outcomes, with special attention to less privileged students and Catholic schools. Through basic and applied research on schools and the learning process, CREO faculty and students pursue high-quality scholarship that has a significant impact on educational research, policy and practice.
CREO research examines the formal and informal organization of schools, the curriculum, teacher practices, and student social relationships to determine how these factors interact with student background to affect student learning.
The director of CREO is distinguished sociology professor Mark Berends.
- The Center for Research on Educational Opportunity (CREO) conducts basic and applied research on schools and the learning process. CREO hopes to make a significant contribution toward attaining educational excellence and equity in American education.
- Its research studies the formal and informal organization of schools, the curriculum, teacher practices, and student social relationships to determine how these factors interact with student background and ability to affect student learning.
- Special attention is given to disadvantaged students and to Catholic schools.
- CREO fosters the intellectual life of the IEI and the Notre Dame community by offering a continuing lecture series, the CREO Seminar, addressing contemporary issues in education.
- The Center's leadership and affiliated faculty teach graduate and undergraduate courses on the sociology of education and issues such as social inequality in education.
- CREO hosts and co-sponsors conferences, workshops, and symposia.
- The Center initiates and coordinates research projects among faculty.
- CREO sponsors faculty exchanges, postdoctoral fellowship, and graduate training in areas related to its mission.
- CREO is located in the west wing of Flanner Hall's 10th floor and has recently expanded into a nearby wing.
- An on-site library with Sociology of Education research materials is available for CREO faculty and students.
- In 2007, a restricted data room was established at the Center so that CREO faculty and students can access restricted files from government-sponsored national surveys of schools.